Sunday, June 13, 2010

Truth Against the World, including the Unitarians

Last weekend I went to "worship" at the First Unitarian Society of Madison, Wisconsin, in a building dedicated to making money off the reputation and the memory of Frank Lloyd Wright. I cannot say the building paid homage to his spirit; to my mind, it evoked very little of him, despite being designed by one of his avowed followers.

This Sunday, I went to a concert of the Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society in the Hillside Theater of FLW's Taliesin campus, and I feel invigorated by the spirit of all the great artists thereby represented, and far closer to God than I did at the FUS service last weekend. So, although it was not in so many words a religious outing, I enter this thought here:

"God is the great mysterious motivator of what we call nature and it has been said often by philosophers, that nature is the will of God. And, I prefer to say that nature is the only body of God that we shall ever see. If we wish to know the truth concerning anything, we'll find it in the nature of that thing."


Frank Lloyd Wright, as quoted in Truth Against the World : Frank Lloyd Wright speaks for an organic architecture (1987) edited by Patrick J. Meehan

No comments: