Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Faith married Hope and they were both so disillusioned they named their daughter Disregard

How does faith persist? Really mom? That is what you want to ask after all this?

How could faith not persist? I mean how can a person, who is not omnipotent not have some form in faith. I mean, if you start with the most basic, you have to at first when you wake up believe that you are indeed awake and a person. When your pillow feels like you remember it to feel, and your toes wiggle upon command, there is a logic to give credence to the idea that you are, in fact, alive. In a way it is then our reason which gives legitimacy to our faith (and strangely enough doubt that undoes it). A faith in the patterns that we live by.

Yesterday I saw a sign on a church with a picture of Mary holding Jesus. Across it was written: "Pregnant?....... Don't Worry!"

What I want to know is how people come to believe in/ have faith in such strange/sad things. And was this church insinuating that your child could have been immaculately conceived, or that: It's okay, Jesus was a bastard too!?

3 comments:

Susan said...

That is the most awesome title ever. As for the rest, I'll be gnawing on it fer a bit.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

cityzenart said...

It is amazing the things some churches will focus on and be so clearly off the mark. Sometimes it is best to allow them to be wrong rather than ask them to justify what they say.

I once saw a sign that said "God is like an Aspirin, he gets rid of the pain." ...or something like that.

God is so much more than a remover of pain. I believe that the removal of pain is simply a by-product of a relationship with God. When the wind blows through your hair and cools your cheeks, do you wonder where the gnats went?
Faith IS.